Maximise the impact of your PE and sports premium funding and join a Surrey network of Active Schools!
Ofsted have highlighted schools’ need for clearer guidance on how best to spend the continued Government funding and the need to share best practice. Under the new, strengthened inspection framework (view handbook), inspectors will assess how effectively school leaders use the funding and measure outcomes for pupils, and how effectively governors hold them to account for this.
For an annual membership fee of just £950 (£800 renewal), you can access the following events and support for the 2019-20 academic year (prices subject to VAT for all non LEA schools):
1. Active School Networks- New for 2019-20
AUTUMN – Thursday 7 November 2019, Guildford, 1- 4 pm
The new OFSTED framework in the context of PE, school sport & physical activity
SPRING - Wednesday 4 March 2020, Dorking, 9 - 12pm
Whole school improvement & achieving 30mins/day in your school
SUMMER - Tuesday 30 June 2020, Leatherhead, 1- 4pm
Sport for ALL & 2020-21 Active Schools Programm
2. New PE Lead Support- PE & School Sport Premium Workshop
Thursday 3 October 2019, 1- 4pm, High Ashurst Centre, Dorking
3. Discounts on teachers training via Active Surrey and partners for teachers and sports coaches. Courses include:
- Active Learning
- Inclusive PE
- Playground Supervisors
- NEW - Multi Sport ‘Skills & Drills’ Training for Teachers
- Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
4. Create Development's PE, Sport Premuim & Health Wheel (training and online impact tool)
5. ‘Inside Active Schools’ regular e-newsletter, featuring the latest news and advice on school sport in Surrey
6. Membership with the Association for Physical Education
7. Subscription with the Youth Sport Trust
8. Safe practice guide in PE, school sport and physical activity
Primary PE and Sport Premium Funding
The PE and Sport Premium is Government funding to help primary schools improve the quality of their physical education, physical activity and sport provision. It’s ring fenced until 2020.
Vision: All pupils leaving primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy, active lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
Objective: To achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport in primary schools.
The Department for Education has published new guidance on the doubled Primary PE and Sport Premium funding, with additions to be aware of.
View the new guidance from GOV.UK, which includes:
1. Funding formula and payment dates for 2018 - 2019
2. How to use the Primary PE and Sport Premium
3. Accountability (Ofsted Inspections, Online Reporting and new Accountability Reviews*)
* Accountability - details of your spending needed to be on your school website by 31 July 2019. We advise using this revised reporting template which for guidance on the level of detail required. See also the latest national and local example documents.
Useful links to help you maximise your funding
Using external coaches
For useful resources and guidance on the employment and deployment of sports coaches in schools, please visit the UK Coaching website.
Guide to physical activity in schools
Watch a series of short films offering a comprehensive guide to all aspects of physical activity in primary schools and maximising the use of primary PE and sport premium. The films were produced by Sport England, in collaboration with National Partners.
- A tool for school improvement
- Increase the confidence and skills of all staff in teaching PE
- More children, more sports, more competition.