Active Surrey, the Active Partnership (AP) for Surrey, has been running very successfully since it was set up in 1999 by Sport England and local partners as a not for-profit organisation, hosted by Surrey County Council. The Partnership is an open, inclusive, cross sector, multi-agency partnership involving all individuals and organisations with an involvement or interest in the development of physical activity. Active Surrey is commissioned by Sport England and local partners to play a crucial role in blending Government strategic, health and economic-related objectives with the needs of local people.
A More Active County
Evidence shows that active people live more enriched lives and are healthier, happier and more prosperous. The Surrey Physical Activity Strategy, published in June 2015, sets out our county’s collective vision for Surrey to be the most active county in England by 2020 and therefore realise associated health, social and economic benefits. This will be achieved by partners from a wide range of sectors working on a whole-system approach to increase participation rates in the whole population, but with particular focus on targeting inactivity in under-represented groups, thus reducing health inequalities.
As the lead agency for physical activity in the county, Active Surrey has a key role in ensuring this happens. Our 2018-21 organisational strategy provides a clear road map for Active Surrey for the next three years. This has been informed by an in-depth analysis of a wide array of data sources (see a summary of this insight).
We will make evidence-based decisions and focus our efforts on making a real difference to the lives of local residents. Our mission is to enrich the lives of Surrey residents through sport and physical activity, helping us towards our vision of making Surrey the most active county in England.
• Influence policy, strategy and investment.
• Enable more people to be more active more often.
• Develop and connect the local infrastructure.
We are committed to making a positive difference through our values, which reflect what the team and board see as truly important.
• Enterprise: Resourceful and innovative in our search for new opportunities.
• Passion: A genuine belief that sport and physical activity can improve a person’s life.
• Integrity: Accountable for our actions and operating with honesty and fairness.
• Excellence: Performing to the highest standards.
Active Surrey Partners, Staff and Board
Active Surrey consists of a number of levels – you can find out more about each level by selecting the relevant page from the dropdown under the main 'About Us' menu item at the top of the page:
- The Active Surrey Board which provides strategic governance.
- The Active Surrey Team - the core delivery staff.
Active Surrey’s reports plans and policies
- Active Surrey Annual Report for 2016 / 17
- Active Surrey management accounts 2017 / 18
- Active Surrey reserves policy
- Active Surrey board diversity action plan
- Surrey's Physical Activity Strategy 2015 -20 summary document
- Safeguarding Policy - Play Sport, Stay Safe
- Equity Policy - Striving for Equality in Sport
The wider landscape of sport
- Department for Culture Media and Sport's Sporting Future: A New Strategy for an Active Nation
- Sport England's 'Towards an Active Nation' strategy 2016-21
- Sport England's 'Coaching in an Active Nation' strategy
- Sport England's 'Volunteering in an Active Nation' strategy
- Department for Culture Media and Sport's Youth Sport Strategy
- Surrey Joint Health & Wellbeing Strategy